Job Title :
Physician in Chief
Areas of Treatment :
Hospital Affiliation :
Ontario Shore Centre for Mental Health Sciences
Practice Name :
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences
Whitby, L1N 5S9 Canada
Practice Website :
Years in Practice :
Description of Practice :
The Prompt Care Clinic at Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) provides care for individuals who require timely access to psychiatric services, but do not require an emergency department visit. A psychiatrist and nurse or social worker provide clinical assessments and a care plan for follow-up or shared care in the community.
Individuals who are symptomatic to the point where a significant amount of personal distress is evident and where distress may increase if there is a delay in treatment can be referred to this clinic.
Clinic Hours: Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Specialized assessment, medication support, illness education, supportive counselling and recommendations for treatment options
- All assessments completed by an interprofessional team including a psychiatrist and nurse or social worker
- Brief follow-up sessions with clinical staff, as well as referral for follow-up treatment or shared care in the community
Individuals 16 years old or older who are symptomatic and require prompt care, but do not need to visit the emergency room. Individuals must be able to wait up to three working days for an appointment and must not have acute medical issues.
Areas of Expertise :
Year Graduated :
Board Certification :
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada - Psychiatry
Faculty Appointments :
- Mental Health Lead for the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry, University of Toronto
Professional Society Memberships :
Canadian Psychiatric Association, American Psychiatric Association
Teaching and Speaking :
Committed to education, Dr. Dawe is active in the training of medical, nursing, and social work students, art therapists, general practitioners, nurse practitioners, and psychiatrists in the common emergencies of mental health care including suicide, substance abuse, and other acute behavioral disturbances.
Research Interests :
His clinical and research areas of interest include emergency psychiatry, quality and patient safety, workplace health, health advocacy, and the design and evaluation of mental health delivery systems.
Formerly the Medical Director of Toronto’s Emergency Mental Health and Addictions Alliance (2008-2011) and the Medical Director of the Psychiatric Emergency Service at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto (2003-2011), Dr Dawe was a Research Associate with both the Keenan Research Centre of the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute at St Michael’s Hospital and the Arthur Sommer Rotenberg Chair in Suicide Studies at the University of Toronto from 2003 through 2011. He has acted as principle or co-investigator in clinical trials and has authored numerous articles and reports on mental health care. He is a frequent invited lecturer and has presented his findings at a wide variety of provincial, national and international seminars, conferences and symposia.
Attributes Success To:
I am responsible for improving health system performance and to take actions that renew the Canadian health system by:
- Engaging all pertinent actors in a system early in the conceptualization, framing, and implementation of change, with particular attention to clinical professions.
- Aligning energy across a system to execute change. Inter-professional teamwork, dialogue, etc. are key tools and techniques leaders can use to do this.
- Systems Transformation efforts need to take into account all domains as sets of interdependent actions to create change. This is key to shifting
from traditional managerial efforts to creating enabling conditions for leading Systems Transformation across health systems
Place of Birth :
St John's, Newfoundland
Golfing, Cooking, Traveling, Wine